Next meeting: Wednesday May 10th at Elm Bungalow, Middlefield at 7.45.
APRIL 12th 2017 OTHERY CHURCH 2.30.
We spent the afternoon in the church, retaking photographs which needed an upgrade in quality and also some items of interest which we had missed previously. We then adjourned to Keens Barn Cottage for discussion and tea. It was decided that there was sufficient of interest to expand the original 8 sides of A5 to 12.
MARCH 21st 2017 OTHERY VILLAGE HALL 7.30.
Local History Group report given to the AGM of the Othery Society, of which we are a sub group.
MARCH 15th 2017 KEENS BARN COTTAGE, 7.45.
A local metal detector enthusiast, who had surveyed the Keens Barn Orchard last autumn, came to talk about and demonstrate the capabilities of his equipment, including a brand new computerised model. He also told us about a few of his ‘finds’ including a 1799 George III penny which he had found in our orchard. Sadly no valuable hoard had turned up! However, he is intending to return to Keens Barn and Middlefield at a later date.
JANUARY 15th 2017 AVIEMORE, KEENS LANE, 7.45
& FEBRUARY 22nd 2017 BELVEDERE, KEENS LANE. 7.45
Our meetings in January and February were spent collating and editing the photographs taken in the church last April to produce a preliminary version of the booklet to be available in the church for visitors.
We also noted that the 2017 calendar had not sold as successfully as previous issues.
LOCAL HISTORY GROUP VISIT TO RICH'S CIDER AT WATCHFIELD SEPTEMBER 14TH 2016
On the afternoon of Wednesday September 14th, the Local History Group made a short visit to Rich’s Cider at Watchfield. We watched thousands of apples being washed and processed, before wandering around the small museum and the site in the sunshine. Although there was not as much to see of the cider making as we had anticipated from their advertisement, there were other things to see and we finished our afternoon with a very enjoyable cream tea in the café.
LOCAL HISTORY GROUP OUTING TO BISHOPS LYDEARD MILL JUNE 7TH 2016
On Tuesday June 7th six members of our group visited Bishops Lydeard Mill. We were sorry that the remaining three members could not be present.
We set off on a glorious sunny afternoon, which enhanced the mill and its surroundings. A family run concern, the lower two floors describe the functions of the mill, with the machinery operating from the exterior water mill and exhibited with realistic life-size figures, as well as an extremely interesting video. The rooms in the two upper floors have similar exhibitions of local crafts, including the saddler, thatcher, cooper and wheelwright and many other smaller items to see .
We followed this by wandering around the beautifully kept garden and passed by the leat, populated by ducks, and the wheel itself, en route to the tea room to round off our visit with tea and cakes. We all agreed that Bishops Lydeard Mill is a treasure to be heartily recommended.
The following photos show the wheelwright and cooper at work.
LOCAL HISTORY GROUP MEETING, KEENS LANE MARCH 9TH 2016
The Local History Group meeting this month was held at Keens Barn Cottage, where Colin showed us some old films of local and historical interest in his little cinema. We then adjourned to the house to see Mervyn’s video of his investiture with his MBE at Buckingham Palace. We found it hard to believe it was as long ago as 1999.
Finally, over coffee and biscuits we looked at an old document about the Act of 1797 relating to the enclosure and allotment of ownership and tenancy of the fields in the Othery section of King’s Sedgemoor, a result of the improved drainage from the diversion of the old River Cary from its original route along the seven bends and round Pathe into the newly dug King’s Sedgemoor Drain, which was completed between 1791 and 1796.
LOCAL HISTORY GROUP OUTING TO
THE RED BRICK BUILDING, GLASTONBURY FEBRUARY 10TH 2016
As the Othery Local History Group has produced two books and two calendars, as well as putting on three of four exhibitions since it started in 1995, we decided that this year we give ourselves a rest from compiling information and treat ourselves to a mixture of events at home or on short trips out for our monthly meetings.
However, our first ‘short trip out’ developed into something more like our annual outing, thanks to Pam Martin, who organised it for us. We visited the community owned Red Brick Building on the Morland Enterprise Park at Glastonbury. The Red Brick Building is gradually being developed from part of the old Morland’s sheepskin factory into various areas, one being an events room which can be booked for all kinds of activities. A Yoga session had just been taking place the morning we arrived.
We passed exhibitions of paintings and photographs by local artists as we made our way up the stairs.
One large, bookable work space room on the upper floor is divided into work areas, one of which Pam has rented for her stitching. All of the current occupants happen to be employed in some form of sewing, either commercially or just as a hobby. We saw completed carnival costumes and an interesting variety of felt hats.
In her personal working area Pam had laid out lots of photographs and booklets for us to look at about the life of employees at Morland’s factory when it was in operation.
On the wall she had mounted some beautiful small pictures sewn by machine with tiny stitches.
We then moved into a lovely light room with all the original beams still in place to enjoy an extremely interesting talk by Robin Howell from Burtle, who has been very much involved in the development of the site. He then joined us for lunch in the Bocabar, where we had also enjoyed coffee when we arrived.
We all felt that the visit had been well worthwhile, including the excellent lunch, and hope the project continues to develop.